Wikis are collaborative web pages that can be modified by anyone with access to the web. They are an excellent tool for sharing information because the combined knowledge of all users can be posted without waiting for a webmaster to make changes to each page. You can make changes yourself.
How can a wiki be used in teaching?
Here are some possibilities:
- Facilitate student group projects
- See an example of Bio 225 Collaborative Projects
- Additional course resources that students could access
- Group planning
- Disseminating information--doesn't require special infrastructure like Angel, it's just a webpage
- A frequently asked question page for the class
- Have students answer questions that the professor or other students post
- Have students create an informal textbook based on class notes.
- A recruiting tool